Thursday, March 12, 2009

Pick a Search Engine

A few weeks ago, I woke up early in the morning and made a decision too do something different. For the life of me, I didn’t know what I wanted to do, but I had a need too change something. That day happened to be the same day that Google decided to join the EU bandwagon and complain about Microsoft bundling I.E. with Windows. This news rubbed me the wrong way, it’s not like Google has been massively effected by this, as they’ve only recently bought out Chrome.

Anyway, after reading that, I made my decision, I was going to try and live a life without Google.

So far, it’s proven a little more difficult than I’d like, not because I rely on them, but more because of habit.

The only habit I’ve successfully changed is my web searching (because I just changed the default search engine in IE8). I’ve tried to break other habits, such as using Live Maps, but alas, the coverage in Australia is just not as good as Google Maps. Just today as an example, I did a search for Moore Street in the ACT. For anybody who knows Canberra, you may know that this street is right in the Centre of the City. Unfortunately Live Maps still can’t find it.. Luckily, Where Is came too the recue.

I’m still trying to find my feet in this Google-Free world, and while I’m sure I may never be completely free, I am pleasantly surprised that the world hasn’t come tumbling down yet.

*Yes, I’m well aware my blog is hosted by Google, I’m still not sure if I’m going to relocate it or not.

No comments: